Saturday, September 24, 2016

Review: It's Not Your Journey by Rebecca Lombardo


SYNOPSIS: 

In her first published work, Rebecca Lombardo collects her internationally followed blog into the pages of “It’s Not Your Journey”. The memoir candidly details Rebecca’s two year long chronicle of her struggles with Bipolar Disorder, Depression, Anxiety, Self-Injury, and recovery from a Suicide attempt. Rebecca shares her very real, raw feelings on these subjects, as well as addressing other issues that have contributed to her downward spiral and eventual climb out of her own pit of despair. Issues such as the loss of her mother to lung cancer, the death of her brother, abandonment from friends and family members due to her hospitalization, and more.

REVIEW:

This was a perfect read for National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. Rebecca chronicles her struggles in a blog format, and you learn that she suffers from Bipolar Disorder. As the blog posts continue, she also suffers from PTSD, self-injury/self-mutilation, borderline personality disorder, anxiety, and depression. Rebecca recalls her last suicide attempt and time spent in the hospital. Rebecca also writes about her journey with the book and publication towards the end. 

There were many times in the book where I felt like I knew exactly what she was going through. I think this is an excellent resource for anyone who feels depressed or is just starting to come to grips with a bipolar diagnosis. The encouragement she gives throughout the book is very reassuring. 

I do think it may trigger some people while reading this, as I started to remember some of my worst memories, that can't be helped, and you should have someone to talk to if needed while you read this book.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars, and recommend it to everyone. You can learn a lot about what others go through (with mental health issues), or if you are going through any mental health problems yourself, you will know you are not alone!

Thank you to The Review Chain and Rebecca Lombardo for a copy of this book for my honest review.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: 

I'm 42 years old and I've been happily married to my best friend for 14 years. I've known that I wanted to be an author since I was very young. I grew up in Michigan with my amazing parents, and 5 older siblings. My husband and I don't have children, but we do have 5 cats that we adore. They are all rescues. I feel very strongly about being an advocate for animals. I enjoy watching movies, sports, and all sorts of television shows. I love to read when I can find the time, and I fancy myself an amateur photographer. I write a blog detailing the struggles I've endured in my life due to a diagnosis of bipolar disorder. I have finally achieved my dream of writing a book. It's Not Your Journey is based on my blog of the same title.

AUTHOR LINKS:


GIVEAWAY:


a Rafflecopter giveaway


Tour provided by:

No comments:

Post a Comment